Pages

Tuesday 17 December 2013

My healthy birthday cake!

Hello hello,
What a crazy couple of days it has been! My birthday celebrations started on Wednesday with a lovely meal in town, after that, it was a couple of nights out along with lots of birthday cakes and treats with friends, including an amazing rainbow cake- best birthday ever!


The only downside is that I now actually feel old. At 21, I believe that I am now considered as an adult who is expected to be independent and fend for herself in the big wide world, also, I can definitely see some wrinkles appearing. Oh the joys of ageing!

On my actual birthday, I had a friend popping over for tea so I decided to make some macarons (it has been about a year since I last made them, and I now recall why I left it for soo long!) and a healthy banana birthday cake which was surprisingly satisfying.

HEALTHY BANANA LOAF CAKE
Makes 1 mini loaf, double recipe for large loaf
  • 1 large ripe banana, mashed
  • 50 g almond meal/ ground almonds
  • 60 g whole wheat flour
  • 1 egg
  • 30 g milk/ non dairy milk
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, butter or olive oil, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 0.5 tsp of cinnamon
  • About 40 g of honey (alter to your preferences)
  • 0.25 tsp baking soda
  • 0.5 tsp baking powder
  • Dark chocolate chips or sultanas :optional
Topping
  • About 4 tbsp low fat cream cheese
  • Some vanilla (I used a pod, for the lovely freckled looked)
  • Some honey/ stevia (according to taste)
  1. Beat the melted fat, honey, egg, vanilla, milk and mashed up banana together until smooth.
  2. Fold in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon into the wet mixture. Be care not to over-mix, quickly fold in the chocolate chips or sultanas if using.
  3. Pour the batter into a well greased and flour cake tin. Bake in a preheated oven at 175 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
  4. For the topping, just mix all the ingredients together, smooth over the top of the cooled cake and enjoy!
Xx

No comments :

Post a Comment