Pages

Thursday 3 October 2013

Stuffed butternut squash & courgette halves

Yum yum! Eating this right now as I write this!! Although this is a very simple recipe, I always find that making your food pretty and serving it in different ways makes it so much more appealing! Here's one of my porridge bowls:)



Also, just got back from an intense HIIT class! I really feel like I'm pushing myself so much more this time round and can definitely see slow progress! I've also started a "gym jar", 50 p for every day of gym, this is a great way to keep motivated and on track and I already know what I'm going to treat myself too once I've saved enough:)!

STUFFED ROASTED VEGETABLES
For the stuffing:

  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1-2 large pieces of celery, roughly chopped
  • Any mince of your choice, whether meat or veggie, I used turkey- about 150g
  • 1 can of chopped tomatoes
  • Spices of your choice- I used cumin seeds, cinnamon and some chilli flakes (worked great!)
  • Salt & pepper
  • 1-2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
  • Any extra chopped veg, I used peas
1. In a large frying pan, drizzle in some olive oil and fry your garlic and onion until soft. Add in the celery and cook for a couple of minutes.
2. Add in the mince and stir fry until cooked through. Pour in the can of tomatoes and additional veg if using. Add in the spices and alter to taste. Leave to simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. Season with salt, pepper & Worcestershire sauce et voila your stuffing is done!

For the rest of the recipe:

  • Vegetables to stuff - I used mini courgettes and butternut squash, you could use peppers, sweet potatoes etc but vary baking time accordingly
  • Some light mozzarella cheese to top
1. Cut your veggies into halves, and using a spoon try to scoop out the seeds and some of the flesh.
2. Place on a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 180 degrees Celsius until a knife can go through (make sure it isn't overcooked!). Mine took about 20 minutes for the squash and 15 for the courgettes.
3. Once cooked through, remove from the oven, stuff with the filling, top with some cheese and bake for a further 5 minutes to brown. Enjoy!

          

No comments :

Post a Comment