Pages

Wednesday 10 July 2013

New find: Cassava flour (manioc)


As I got home, my mum got me her idea of a 'pressie', a new type of cooking flour!

 I've done some research with regards to cassava flour, it is supposed to have several health benefits but is mainly used in baking as a type of gluten free flour, if used alone it gives a chewy texture and therefore is usually mixed with other types of flours.

Kind of knackered and brain dead today so no crazy experimenting, I thought I'd keep it simply and try out a carrot muffin with a mix of cassava flour and whole wheat flour. These turned out pretty good, with a slight earthy taste to them, they were really fluffy but slightly more moist as opposed to normal basic muffins. Can't wait to experiment around with this, apparently 'breadfruit flour' is also made by the same brand!


FRUITY CASSAVA CARROT MUFFINS
  • 1 egg
  • 225 ml milk
  • 10 dates, pitted
  • Cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • Half a tsp of baking soda
  • 100 g Whole wheat flour
  • 100 g Cassava flour
  • 50 g Oats
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 carrots, grated
  • Handful of raisins
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  1. Soak your dates in the milk for a couple of minutes. I've been having a very lazy day, so I then just blended everything else together bar the carrots and raisins until a smooth batter was obtained and then folded in the grated carrot and raisins.
  2. Bake in muffin cases for 20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.

Woops!! Sorry about the darkness, should probably turn on the light next time round! Just made 24 muffins to stock up our goodie box in the freezer :)
I'll soon post a recipe for some pumpkin muffins!
Time for bed I think!
Xx

No comments :

Post a Comment