Pages

Wednesday 3 July 2013

'Pudding Mais' style muffins


Here's a long overdue post! I've started my Finance internship this week, 9 hour shifts everyday, which means that I hardly have any time to just chill and browse the internet! It's all going good though and I'm really enjoying my assignment, also I finally got my second year Uni results and managed to get an overall first, so I'm pretty chuffed about that!!!

Although I've been dead busy this week, I still managed to make some time for some well needed baking sessions! I've made a few of my healthy treats for people at work and decided to experiment a bit today with whatever I had in my baking box. I noticed a big pack of unopened cornmeal, typically used to make 'pudding mais', a traditional Mauritian cake sold by most street food vendors.

I wanted to experiment with corn grits/cornmeal to create a more filling and substantial healthy snack. These turned out pretty good, obviously slightly more 'gritty' and 'textured' as opposed to traditional muffins, very similar to American cornbread:)

HEALTHY 'PUDDING MAIS' MUFFINS

  • 170 g cornmeal (polenta)
  • 40 g wholewheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2 tsp vanilla 
  • 1 egg
  • 175 ml milk + 1 tbsp lemon juice, mixed together
  • handful of raisins or frozen berries (optional)
  1. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
  2. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
  3. Make a well at the centre of the dry ingredients, add the egg, vanilla and honey and slowly stir it all together whilst pouring in the milk mixture. Once fully incorporated, add in your raisins or fruit.
  4. Spoon the batter into cupcake cases or well greased muffin tray holes and bake for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Xx

No comments :

Post a Comment