Pages

Saturday 29 June 2013

Healthy finds in Port Louis

Decided to go down to work with my brother today and check out Port Louis since I last visited in December. I went down armed with some healthy banana muffins to give out to the workers as I used to always make them cakes when I was little!
It was really lovely to see some old faces as well as family :)


On my break, I had a little nosy around and found a lovely little shop that sells all sorts of grains and nuts and managed to get some sunflower seeds, white poppy seeds, bulgar wheat, dates, lin seeds and white sesame seeds all for about Rs 140, a fraction of what I would pay in health shops in the UK!

There are quite a few of these wholesale shops in Port Louis, but the staff here were particularly nice and even told me that they would try and get some chia seeds in the shop for my next visit!!
The shop is called 'Succ. Dawood Jhurry & Co. ltd' and is found on Corderie street in Port Louis.




I also went to have a quick look around the fruit and veg market. I love the hustle and bustle of that place, the freshness of all the produce and the reasonable prices on offer. I got a massive cauliflower for Rs 35 whereas a mini one would probably costs about Rs 100 up north!


I didn't have much time left so I just had a quick look around Chinatown. I found some great wholewheat and buckwheat noodles for around Rs 40 a 500 g pack, lots of interesting dried fruits and nuts including goji berries, some funky looking pineapple peeler/slicer, cute heart shaped wooden skewers, lovely ribbons, beads and many more goodies!


If you have some time to spare, you should definitely put on some walking shoes and have a good look around the variety of little novelty shops and food stores dotted around Port Louis for some great bargains!
Finished off my afternoon with some yummy 'Niouk yen', Mauritian dim-sum steamed dumplings made from 'Chou-Chou'.


Xx

No comments :

Post a Comment