Pages

Monday 19 August 2013

Fish eggs!

Ok so I've always been intrigued by fish eggs, I'm not talking about the well known fish roe, tiny eggs usually served on sushi pieces, but a massive fish egg which can measure up to about 30 cm long! Apparently, only certain fish have this type of fish egg, they are known as ovoviviparous fish, whereby the egg grows inside the stomach, hatches and then a little fish should pop out!
I've read a lot about fish eggs on many Paleo websites that I follow. They are highly recommended and are known for their nutrient dense properties, so I decided to have a go at cooking one of these massive eggs!

SIMPLY PAN FRIED FISH EGG
So apparently, if you just fry or cook the egg directly, it will tend to crumbly and break apart. My dad taught me that the trick is to first boil it followed by whatever cooking method you choose. I find that pan-frying gives the egg a lovely crunchy finish. :)
  • Fish egg
  • boiling water
  • Tiny bit of olive oil
  1. In a big pot of boiling water, immerse in your whole fish egg and let it boil for 5-10 minutes until it turns opaque and leave to cool, the ends will shrivel up and look a bit scary!
  2. Once cool enough to handle, slice the egg and pan fry for a couple of minutes until golden brown. You do not really need any seasoning, the egg is naturally quite rich and salty.

I had two slices (you really don't need much, it's so rich!) with gros pois:), yummmmmy!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment